On December 13, 2011, Mark Gomes, a school bus driver was getting ready for work when ICE agents banged on his door at 5:30 A.M. and arrested him on old immigration charges, separating him from his family. His 14-year-old United States citizen daughter, who suffers from epilepsy, has been severely affected both physically and emotionally by her father’s detention and possible deportation.
He is now in North Georgia Detention Center and could be deported any day.
Mark Gomes and his wife fled Bangladesh in 1991 due to fear of persecution as a religious minority. They applied for asylum but the cases were denied despite what his wife says was a very strong case, “It lacked physical evidence”. They appealed the case but were ultimately ordered removed in 2005. For the past four years they have been complying with ICE and reporting with the local ICE office under an order of supervision. Now ICE is trying to deport Mark to Bangladesh even though he had been cooperating with them and reporting in regularly.
Mark is a loving father and husband. He is a vibrant and beloved leader in his church community and in the Bengali community in Raleigh, North Carolina. Mark has no criminal records, and has been paying taxes for the past twenty years.
He is a bus driver for Wake County Public School System. He is missed by his coworkers and the students he transports safely to their homes. He has taught the students on his routes greetings and how to count in Bengali.
If he is deported it will cause great hardship for his family. Not only will the family be separated from their father, but also as the family’s main breadwinner his family would face economic hardships, including the possibility of losing their home. His daughter requires constant care due to the unpredictable nature of epilepsy. Stressful events, such as this can trigger epileptic episodes.
Mark is like thousands of our community members, neighbors and co-workers who are subject to being detained and deported, deemed guilty by immigration status.
The family is asking for ICE to use their discretion to allow Mark to stay in the United States with his family. Please take action to stop Mark Gomes’ deportation and keep the Gomes family together and share it with your friends and colleagues.
This petition asks for 5,000 signatures. I’ve seen what tumblr can do, PLEASE sign this and reblog!
- vann-haal likes this
- wicked-white reblogged this from pikachurinn
- wicked-white likes this
- pikachurinn reblogged this from sunshineinthetardis
- sunshineinthetardis reblogged this from caliborm
- tomom1k reblogged this from 148km
- bluedraco reblogged this from lywinis
- bubbybobble likes this
- tyrian-ectoplasm reblogged this from candymandie
- chattyjeliza reblogged this from alexandraerin
- hellysinsinjay reblogged this from candymandie
- ask-thedarksamurai reblogged this from candymandie
- candymandie likes this
- mrshannarivers reblogged this from mrskarkatharley
- ramen-town reblogged this from all1sees
- shrurikandesu reblogged this from 3vidently
- demeanon reblogged this from azmoe
- inheritedloss reblogged this from thebrokenbirdcage
- fastcar2414 reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- usigirisu reblogged this from padalickingood
- analogwatch reblogged this from lywinis
- thebrokenbirdcage reblogged this from spirallings
- conejiito reblogged this from faeries-everywhere
- stormyweatherahead reblogged this from thorinbaconshield
- minfarshaw reblogged this from lywinis
- thesilverpowerranger reblogged this from tashabilities
- fuzzybumblebee reblogged this from theohgodofhangovers
- dannyhodges reblogged this from operatingonscientists
- zestai reblogged this from isleptpassnoon
- isleptpassnoon likes this
- isleptpassnoon reblogged this from fersrsbizniz
- fersrsbizniz reblogged this from commanderamandakitswell
- sailorlalonde likes this
- mymindisfree reblogged this from blackoutninja
- caliborm reblogged this from elementary-my-dear-idiots
- theohgodofhangovers reblogged this from 148km
- akie-tara reblogged this from alice-take-me-back-to-wonderland
- elementary-my-dear-idiots reblogged this from biddybatch
- biddybatch reblogged this from 148km
- dissidentssoul reblogged this from lywinis
- dissidentssoul likes this
- dominantteacher reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- rimpelstilskin reblogged this from crumplesnacks
- lookslikeageek reblogged this from lywinis
- chupadactyl reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- tadanodt reblogged this from pearlsinthesun
- commanderamandakitswell reblogged this from lywinis
- lywinis reblogged this from strawberry-astronaut
- strawberry-astronaut reblogged this from heyhipsterwhoreunicornassbutt